img
title

The History of The Tea Room

The Tea Room is located in the heart of Streetsville, within the Robinson-Bray House.  Built in 1885 and owned by at least 2 families (the Robinsons and the Brays), it has since been restored and expanded to house a number of independent businesses.  In 1983, it was designated a building of “architectural and contextual value” by the City of Mississauga.  This landmark building stands on the corner of Queen Street and Mill Street as a constant and elegant reminder of yesteryear. 

After over 22 years of operation, it’s hard to even imagine the Robinson-Bray House without the Tea Room.  That’s exactly what Rhonda Turner was hoping for when she opened the Tea Room’s doors in 1989.  Since then, Rhonda has retired as have subsequent owners/operators Bernie Mc Clennan and Marg Heringer.  Today, the Tea Room is owned and operated by Melanie Howsam. 

Melanie’s own history with the Tea Room is quite extensive as well.  Melanie was introduced to the Tea Room as a high school student in the 1990s and immediately felt at home.  After completing high school, Melanie trained in the Culinary Arts programs at George Brown College.  From there, she focused her efforts more particularly in the Pastry field, serving as Pastry Chef at such establishments as Scaramouche, Rahier Patisserie and Lemon Meringue restaurant before “coming home” to the Tea Room.  Melanie partnered with then owner Marg Heringer in 2009 until Marg’s retirement, taking full reigns of the Tea Room in November 2010.

img